2021: A Banner Year For Ali Imsirovic Recognized at 3rd Global Poker Awards
- Imsirovic honored with three trophies
- Kerstetter defends Twitter title
- Mike Sexton named Poker ICON
LAS VEGAS, February 18, 2022 – The Global Poker Awards (GPAs) returned this evening inside the PokerGO Studio at Aria Resort & Casino, honoring the stars of the poker community in 2021. There were 26 awards handed out for 2021 with Ali Imsirovic collecting a trio of trophies including Global Poker Index (GPI) Player of the Year. Mike Sexton, Nadya Magnus, Jamie Kerstetter, and 2022 GPAs host, Jeff Platt, were among those recognized.
Imsirovic did not leave much to be decided as his play throughout 2021 gave him the nod for GPI PoY and the PokerGO Tour PoY award. Imsirovic was also the recipient of the Player’s Choice for Toughest Opponent which is voted on by the 2021 GPI top 100 players. Nadya Magnus and David Mzareulov also received PoY Honors. Magnus led all female players to win the GPI Female PoY while Mzareulov claimed the inaugural GPI Mid Major PoY. The GPI Breakout player went to Johan “YoH ViraL” Guilbert.
A montage to honor the memory of the late Mike Sexton touched the audience as Sexton was named Poker ICON. Sexton was poker’s greatest ambassador to ever grace the game and joins Johnny Chan as a Poker ICON. Veronica Brill was awarded the trophy for Charitable Initiative and the GPI Award of Merit went to Maria Konnikova.
Only one person defended their award from 2019 and that was Jamie Kerstetter. Kerstetter was once again nominated for Twitter Personality and once again found worthy of the title by her peers. Kerstetter was also nominated for Best Broadcaster which was one by the 2022 GPA host, Jeff Platt. Other industry awards were handed out to Paul Campbell for Best Tournament Director and Matt Savage for Best Industry Person.
Poker fans were also given an opportunity to vote for awards this year. Doug Polk won the fan’s choice award for Best Hand, the Best Trophy went to the World Poker Tour’s Mike Sexton WPT Champions Cup, and Japan’s Masato Yokosawa won the fan’s choice award for Poker Personality.
Other award winners on the night include, James Hartigan and Joe Stapleton, Adam Friedman, Benjamin Spragg, Brad Owen, Christian Zetszche, Lance Bradley, Enrique Malfavon, and Remko Rinkema.
3rd GLOBAL POKER AWARDS Winners (listed alphabetically)
BEST FINAL TABLE PERFORMANCE
– Adam Friedman (USA), WSOP 10K Dealer’s Choice 6-Max Championship
GPI BREAKOUT PLAYER
– Johan Guilbert (France)
PLAYERS CHOICE FOR TOUGHEST OPPONENT
– Ali Imsirovic (Bosnia & Herzegovina)
– Jamie Kerstetter (USA)
– Benjamin Spragg “Spraggy” (England)
– Brad Owen (USA)
BEST INDUSTRY PERSON
– Matt Savage (USA)
BEST TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR
– Paul Campbell (USA)
– World Series of Poker Main Event
– Poker in the Ears (James Hartigan (England), Joseph Stapleton (USA) for PokerStars)
– Jeff Platt (USA)
BEST LIVE REPORTER
– Christian Zetszche (Germany)
BEST MEDIA CONTENT: WRITTEN
– Lance Bradley (Canada) for PocketFives: Isai Scheinberg: His Company, His Legacy, and How Black Friday Impacted Both
BEST MEDIA CONTENT: PHOTO
– Enrique Malfavon (USA) for PokerGO: The WSOP Main Event Bubble Bursts
BEST MEDIA CONTENT: VIDEO
– Remko Rinkema (Netherlands) for PokerGO: Run it Back with Stefanie Ungar
FANS CHOICE: BEST HAND
– Doug Polk (USA) makes epic fold vs. Phil Hellmuth on High Stakes Poker
FANS CHOICE: BEST TROPHY
– Mike Sexton WPT Champions Cup
FANS CHOICE: POKER PERSONALITY
– Masato Yokosawa (Japan)
- Charitable Initiative: Veronica Brill
- GPI Award of Merit: Maria Konnikova
- GPI Female PoY: Nadya Magnus
- GPI Mid Major PoY: David Mzareulov
- GPI PoY Ali Imsorovic
- PokerGO Tour POY: Ali Imsirovic
- Poker ICON: Mike Sexton
- THM Award: Kevin Mathers
For further information:
PR & Communications Manager
Global Poker Index (GPI) is live tournament poker’s ranking authority – classifying more than 640,000 active players from over 100 countries across almost 30,000 festivals. GPI’s Hendon Mob Poker Database (THM) has archived over 460,000 live poker tournaments and 3.5 million individual results and is continually updated via real-time data collection from over 2,200 partner venues. Global Poker Index and The Hendon Mob are trading names of Mediarex Group, a global sports and entertainment organization, founded in Malta in 2012.
PokerGO is the #1 poker TV streaming service in the world with over 100 days of exclusive live poker tournaments, including the World Series of Poker, Poker Masters, and the Super High