Guilbert, Kerstetter, Platt, Polk and Stapleton Lead Nominations at 3rd Global Poker Awards
- Kerstetter looks to defend Twitter title, win for Broadcaster
- Imsirovic could end the night with three trophies
- Fan voting still open for Poker Personality
LAS VEGAS, January 18, 2022 – The preliminary and final votes for the 3rd Global Poker Awards have been cast and the nominees are in. Johan ‘YoH ViraL’ Guilbert, Jamie Kerstetter, Jeff Platt, Doug Polk and Joseph Stapleton headline the list of nominees that will look to claim a prestigious Global Poker Award. The 3rd Global Poker Awards will be streamed live from the PokerGO Studio at Aria Resort & Casino in Las Vegas on Friday, February 18, exclusively on PokerGO.
After preliminary voting was closed on January 10, the lists of finalists were sent out to the voting panel to be reduced to the final nominees. Kerstetter, Platt, Guilbert, Polk and Stapleton are each nominated for two awards.
Kerstetter won the award for Twitter Personality at the last GPAs and is once again nominated. Kerstetter is also nominated for Best Broadcaster along with Platt. Platt’s other nomination comes from his video content work at the World Series. “Stand Up for Me Please,” has been nominated for Best Media Content: Video. Guilbert will be receiving his first nominations at the GPAs after a breakthrough year in 2021. Guilbert is nominated for Breakout Player and Poker Personality which will be decided by poker fans.
Note to all poker fans: You have until Wednesday, January 26th to vote for your favorite Poker Personality. Anyone can place their votes in this final round, including those who voted in the first round.
Polk and Stapleton will battle in the podcast category, Polk for his own pod and Stapes for his Poker in the Ears podcast he co-hosts with James Hartigan. Polk is also nominated in the Fans Choice: Best Hand category for his epic High Stakes Poker fold vs. Phil Hellmuth. Meanwhile, Stapleton joins Kerstetter and Platt on the Best Broadcaster list.
A total of 26 awards will be presented including 2021 GPI Player of the Year & PokerGO Tour Player of the Year to Ali Imsirovic, who could take home a third trophy on the night in the Players Choice category, Female PoY to Nadya Magnus, and the inaugural Mid-Major PoY to David Mzareulov. Poker ICON, Best Streamer and Best Vlogger are just a few of the other awards to be presented at the PokerGO Studio.
Multiple-time GPI Award winners Lance Bradley, Remko Rinkema, Matt Savage and Kara Scott are just a few others nominated this year.
A total of 13 Nations are represented on this year’s nomination lists. Masato Yokosawa becomes the very first Japanese-born person to be nominated at the Global Poker Awards.
3rd GLOBAL POKER AWARDS NOMINEES (listed alphabetically)
BEST FINAL TABLE PERFORMANCE
- Koray Aldemir (Germany), WSOP Main Event
- Jeremy Ausmus (USA), WSOP PLO High Roller
- Daniel “Jungleman” Cates (USA), WSOP 50K Poker Players Championship
- Adam Friedman (USA), WSOP 10K Dealer’s Choice 6-Max Championship
GPI BREAKOUT PLAYER
PLAYERS CHOICE FOR TOUGHEST OPPONENT
- Michael Addamo (Australia)
- Stephen Chidwick (England)
- Ali Imsirovic (Bosnia & Herzegovina)
- David Peters (USA)
- Kevin Martin “kevinmartin” (Canada)
- Benjamin Spragg “Spraggy” (England)
- Jonathan Van Fleet “apestylespoker” (USA)
- Lex Veldhuis “LexVeldhuis” (Netherlands)
BEST INDUSTRY PERSON
- Tony Burns (USA)
- Jack Effel (USA)
- Mori Eskandani (Iran/USA)
- Matt Savage (USA)
BEST TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR
- Paul Campbell (USA)
- Justin Hammer (USA)
- Ray Pulford (USA)
- Andy Tillman (USA)
- Seminole Hard Rock Rock ‘N’ Roll Poker Open Opening Event
- World Series of Poker Main Event
- Wynn Mystery Bounty (Summer 2021)
- Wynn Millions
- Poker in the Ears (James Hartigan, Joseph Stapleton for PokerStars)
- The Chip Race Poker Podcast (David Lappin, Dara O’Kearney for Unibet Poker)
- The Doug Polk Podcast (Doug Polk)
- The Heart of Poker (Kara Scott)
- Jamie Kerstetter (USA)
- Ali Nejad (USA)
- Jeff Platt (USA)
- Joseph Stapleton (USA)
BEST LIVE REPORTER
- Merom “Mickey” Doft (USA)
- Timothy Duckworth (Australia)
- Chad Holloway (USA)
- Christian Zetszche (Germany)
BEST MEDIA CONTENT: WRITTEN
- Lance Bradley (Canada) for PocketFives: Isai Scheinberg: His Company, His Legacy, and How Black Friday Impacted Both
- D’Arcy Maine (USA) for ESPN.com: While battling brain cancer, Michael Graydon lives World Series of Poker dream
- Charles Rabin (USA) for Miami Herald: From immigration ‘cage’ to newest poker champ at Hard Rock. An Afghan refugee’s luck turns
BEST MEDIA CONTENT: PHOTO
- Antonio Abrego (USA) for PokerGO: Adam Friedman defeats Phil Hellmuth for 3rd straight WSOP 10K Dealers Choice title
- Hayley Hochstetler (USA): The End of an Era
- Enrique Malfavon (USA) for PokerGO: The WSOP Main Event Bubble Bursts
- Danny Maxwell (Ireland) for PokerNews/WSOP: Brandon Shack-Harris and his umbrella at WSOP
BEST MEDIA CONTENT: VIDEO
FANS CHOICE: BEST HAND
FANS CHOICE: BEST TROPHY
- Mike Sexton WPT Champions Cup
- MSPT South Dakota State Championship
- Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open Championship
- WPTDeepStacks Gold Coast
- Johan “YoH ViraL” Guilbert (France)
- Greg “Greg Goes All In” Liow (Canada)
- Jonathan Little (USA)
- Masato Yokosawa (Japan)
For further information:
PR & Communications Manager
Global Poker Index (GPI) is live tournament poker’s ranking authority – classifying more than 640,000 active players from over 100 countries across almost 30,000 festivals. GPI’s Hendon Mob Poker Database (THM) has archived over 460,000 live poker tournaments and 3.5 million individual results and is continually updated via real-time data collection from over 2,200 partner venues. Global Poker Index and The Hendon Mob are trading names of Mediarex Group, a global sports and entertainment organization, founded in Malta in 2012.
PokerGO is the #1 poker TV streaming service in the world with over 100 days of exclusive live poker tournaments, including the World Series of Poker, Poker Masters, and the Super High Roller Bowl series. PokerGO is also the home of fan-favorite poker TV series High Stakes Poker and Poker After Dark.
Offering 24/7 on demand access to exclusive original shows, behind-the-scenes content, and a huge library of poker events and programming, PokerGO is available on your computer as well as your favorite mobile and TV streaming devices.